7 On Your Side
IRS offers tax debt relief
If you cannot afford to pay your taxes, Uncle Sam actually wants to give you a break. There is news of some possible relief from the Internal Revenue Service.
The IRS may not be everybody's best friend.
However, on Wednesday the agency said it will go easy on Americans who cannot afford to pay taxes because of the recession.
The IRS says it will be more flexible in negotiating tax settlements with struggling consumers.
The agency also will open 1,000 tax offices on various Saturdays where consumers can get help in resolving their tax debts.
IRS, taxes, recession, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 11 min ago
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday