7 On Your Side
Bamboo fabric claims questioned by the FTC
The claims can be found on bamboo towels, bamboo bedding and other bamboo fabrics; manufacturers say that processing bamboo is more environmentally friendly than processing other textiles -- but the Good Housekeeping Institute says buyer beware.
"Basically what the FTC has done is they've gone after companies in August of 2009 that had made false claims about bamboo. There were four companies that were fined. Then in this past February, they warned 78 companies that if they don't cease and desist with their bamboo claims that they will also be fined," said Kathleen Huddy of Good Housekeeping.
One claim stated that this towel is 100 percent bamboo.
"It actually, according to the FTC, should say 100 percent rayon or viscose made from bamboo," said Huddy.
Bamboo towels are often made with cotton fibers. Those looking for the softest most absorbent towels may want to stick with 100 percent cotton.
FTC, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...