7 On Your Side
Bamboo fabric claims questioned by the FTC
The claims can be found on bamboo towels, bamboo bedding and other bamboo fabrics; manufacturers say that processing bamboo is more environmentally friendly than processing other textiles -- but the Good Housekeeping Institute says buyer beware.
"Basically what the FTC has done is they've gone after companies in August of 2009 that had made false claims about bamboo. There were four companies that were fined. Then in this past February, they warned 78 companies that if they don't cease and desist with their bamboo claims that they will also be fined," said Kathleen Huddy of Good Housekeeping.
One claim stated that this towel is 100 percent bamboo.
"It actually, according to the FTC, should say 100 percent rayon or viscose made from bamboo," said Huddy.
Bamboo towels are often made with cotton fibers. Those looking for the softest most absorbent towels may want to stick with 100 percent cotton.
FTC, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 20 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire 37 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 6 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos