7 On Your Side
Local company stands behind SmartMeter accuracy
REDWOOD CITY, CA (KGO) -- A Redwood City company involved with Pacific Gas & Electric's controversial SmartMeter program is standing behind the accuracy of its product.
Wednesday, 7 On Your Side reported that two utilities in Texas using SmartMeters have admitted several thousand of its customers received inaccurate and at times inflated bills.
Both Centerpoint and Oncor blamed the problem on a communications program it uses. That program from IBM enables the utilities to remotely receive energy usage readings from the SmartMeters.
PG&E uses a different system for its SmartMeters -- a module made by Silver Springs Network in Redwood City. Despite the problems in Texas, Silver Springs says its system is 100 percent accurate. But some consumer groups aren't buying it.
"We take the data that's measured in the meter and we move it digitally through the network and move it to the other side," said Eric Dresselhuys, vice president of Silver Springs Network. "So we don't do anything to change that reading."
"More and more, PG&E is finding out that PG&E can't keep hiding these problems because they're real," said Mark Toney with The Utility Reform Network (TURN).
An independent third party investigation ordered by the California Public Utilities Commission is looking into both the accuracy of the SmartMeters and the communications system that helps run it.
PG&E, 7 on your side, michael finney
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 8 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 51 min ago
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF 33 min ago
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 4 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos