7 On Your Side
Destination weddings increase in popularity
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- About 20 percent of all weddings are now destination weddings. Those are the weddings that take place on the beach in Maui or in Las Vegas rather than in the bride's hometown.
Say you have been invited and it will cost a small fortune to get the whole family there. So -- is that your gift?
"If you are flying in, spending a lot of money getting there and being there: that is your gift and most brides and grooms will accept that," consumer psychologist Kit Yarrow said.
Yarrow says if you can afford the extra money, go ahead and give a gift, but if the trip is causing you financial pain, she says consider giving a gift on the couple's first anniversary.
weddings, 7 on your side
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos