7 On Your Side
Destination weddings increase in popularity
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- About 20 percent of all weddings are now destination weddings. Those are the weddings that take place on the beach in Maui or in Las Vegas rather than in the bride's hometown.
Say you have been invited and it will cost a small fortune to get the whole family there. So -- is that your gift?
"If you are flying in, spending a lot of money getting there and being there: that is your gift and most brides and grooms will accept that," consumer psychologist Kit Yarrow said.
Yarrow says if you can afford the extra money, go ahead and give a gift, but if the trip is causing you financial pain, she says consider giving a gift on the couple's first anniversary.
weddings, 7 on your side
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos