7 On Your Side
Assessing insurance post disaster damage
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- If you or members of your family have travel plans to Japan, they may need to be changed. Here are some things you need to know about how to re-schedule your trip.
As in any natural misfortune after the initial response, the next phase is assessing damage and replacing what was destroyed. A lot of people will have insurance questions, especially those who are in Santa Cruz.
When you see all the destruction you can't help but wonder who is going to pay for that. We are fortunate in California that we didn't get hit harder, because very few coastal residences are insurance against tsunami damage.
"Tsunami, any sort of damage is a result of rising water is a flood insurance policy, which you have to remember is separate from a homeowners insurance policy," Tully Lehman from the Insurance Information Network said. "In all of California, there are only about 270,000 flood insurance policies in force so not many people have flood insurance."
The boats we have seen bashing about, most boats are insured and would be covered for any damage and attempted the costs of raising a sunken boat. Many also have liability policies so damage caused by the boat would be covered as well.
tsunami, japan quake, insurance, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak 11 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year 16 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 7 On Your Side: Affordable home automation
10 min ago