7 On Your Side
Fight heats up in Calif. to regulate health care premiums
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGO) -- There has been plenty of controversy over rising health care premiums in California. In Sacramento, that debate really heated up on Wednesday over a bill to let regulators control the rates we all pay.
The state Senate heard opposing arguments over a bill to control your health insurance rates. Right now, regulators cannot stop insurance companies from raising premiums, they can only give their opinion.
The new bill would let regulators regulate by saying no to unreasonable rate hikes. Consumer advocates and insurance companies are squaring off over the bill.
"Premiums stay low when health insurance companies are accountable to an insurance department," said Jamie Court from Consumer Watchdog.
"Further rate regulation does nothing to address the cost drivers, in fact it adds an expensive bureaucratic layer of review," said Patrick Johnston from the California Association of Health Plans.
The state Assembly already approved the bill. The Senate's health committee will vote next week.
sacramento, health care, health insurance, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF 40 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders 14 min ago
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Mourners remember girl, 9, killed in Okla. tornado 32 min ago
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Woman hit by construction van in critical condition 13 min ago
- SFO employee accused of stealing from luggage 5 min ago
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Missing pony; High-speed rail
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house...
17 min ago
- Mourners remember girl, 9, killed in Okla....
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos