7 On Your Side
Bail debated for man on trial for mortgage fraud
ALAMEDA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- There has been a surprising twist in the case of a Las Vegas man accused of mortgage fraud in Alameda County. Monday, some potential witnesses surfaced both inside and outside the courtroom.
Alan David Tikal is accused of 29 counts of bilking at least 11 Alameda County families in a real estate fraud and mortgage rescue scheme. At issue, whether the defendant should be allowed to post $780,000 bail.
Tikal looked behind him and smiled at his girlfriend Monday as he appeared in Alameda County Superior Court. Later, prosecutor David Lim announced he would ask Tikal's girlfriend to testify at a bail hearing.
"From what I've seen, I anticipate that Ms. Silva may have information pertinent to whatever source of bail that is provided," Lim said.
The prosecution fears that any money the suspect uses to bail out could have been obtained illegally. The court has ordered Tikal to prove otherwise before being allowed to post bail
Tamara Silva could prove to be a hostile witness for the prosecution. Two other defendants in this case who are accused of far fewer counts have asked to be tried separately and have posted $50,000 bail.
"If the DA is alleging felonious funds, any funds coming from the trust are feloniously obtained, then why were the two others allowed to be bailed out," defense attorney Fanya Young said.
Young says Silva arranged to bail out both Bruce Blankenhorn and Luis Deleon.
Young also says she will ask an expert on home incarceration and GPS monitoring to testify. She also later indicated that some of the alleged victims in this case will actually testify on behalf of her client.
The bail hearing has been set for July 20.
trials, fraud, mortgages, alameda county, 7 on your side, michael finney
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos