7 On Your Side
Who should get quake insurance?
A magnitude 3.6 and 3.5 earthquakes struck Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, southeast of Oakland near the Hayward fault. That coupled with Tuesday's quake on the East Coast, they may be good reminders about earthquake insurance. Here is information about who should get earthquake insurance.
The bottom line is the overwhelming majority of homeowners in the Bay Area and around the country don't have earthquake coverage.
The Tully Lehman from the Insurance Information Network of California says those who need it most are those who live near an earthquake fault, which is pretty much all of us in the Bay Area and those who live in certain structures.
"If you live in a brick and mortar structure, chances of damage as a result of an earthquake are higher in that than in something like a wood stick structure," said Lehman.
Many consumers are turned off by the high deductibles, but the Insurance Information Network points out in a disaster, low-cost loans to help cover the deductibles are available through the federal government.
earthquake, insurance, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 24 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Drought prompts officials to release water...
24 min ago