7 On Your Side
Who should get quake insurance?
A magnitude 3.6 and 3.5 earthquakes struck Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, southeast of Oakland near the Hayward fault. That coupled with Tuesday's quake on the East Coast, they may be good reminders about earthquake insurance. Here is information about who should get earthquake insurance.
The bottom line is the overwhelming majority of homeowners in the Bay Area and around the country don't have earthquake coverage.
The Tully Lehman from the Insurance Information Network of California says those who need it most are those who live near an earthquake fault, which is pretty much all of us in the Bay Area and those who live in certain structures.
"If you live in a brick and mortar structure, chances of damage as a result of an earthquake are higher in that than in something like a wood stick structure," said Lehman.
Many consumers are turned off by the high deductibles, but the Insurance Information Network points out in a disaster, low-cost loans to help cover the deductibles are available through the federal government.
earthquake, insurance, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 6 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 29 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos