7 On Your Side
Woman struggles to get refund for laser treatments
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- The down economy is having an impact in places you'd least expect. When a Hayward woman requested a refund for a laser treatment she no longer wanted, she was told to expect her money back in a month. Little did she know it would take five times that long.
Darlene Smith of Hayward found out about the laser treatments at American Laser Skin Care while browsing the Internet.
"It popped up when I was looking at something else," said Smith.
The idea of having treatments done on her skin appealed to her.
"They have this little laser treatment. They'd run this little laser light here. It firms up this skin under the neck," said Smith.
She prepaid for two treatments and wrote out a check to American Laser for $2,250, but the next day she changed her mind.
"I just didn't feel comfortable with it," said Smith.
She was told she would be getting a refund shortly.
"And 'shortly' just kept on going on and on and on so I kept calling on and on and on," said Smith.
Three months went by and still, there was no refund. All she had to show for her money was two bottles of lotion she still hasn't used.
"This is an exfoliating facial cleanser and this is a daily firming lotion. I believe this one is supposed to firm up the skin," said Smith.
Frustrated, she called 7 On Your Side and we contacted American Laser.
"It was very frustrating because I'm used to handling my own affairs and usually when I speak to someone in charge, I can get immediate results," said Smith.
The company told us, "The tough economic times has caused quite a glut of people requesting refunds... she was simply caught up in the delay of waiting in line." The company says it's backed up 12 to 13 weeks processing refunds.
"I'd like to express my gratitude to Channel 7 On Your Side because they expedited the refund for me. Once they got involved, my check was in the mail," said Smith.
hayward, refund, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 37 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 56 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 19 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 29 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 17 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
39 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos