7 On Your Side
Bill signed banning self checkout alcohol sales
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill banning the sale of alcohol at self checkout lanes.
A 7 On Your Side hidden camera investigation found the scanners could be tricked into allowing sales of alcohol to minors.
"We feel this is a loophole that's going to make the situation worse and we'd like to make sure anyone who buys alcohol needs to be ID'd at the checkout stand," said Assm. Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco.
Opponents to the law say there are safeguards in place and this is simply a ploy by unions to keep the self checkout scanners out of supermarkets.
jerry brown, alcohol, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Man killed after metal pipe flies into car on I-580 30 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town 36 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO 31 min ago
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 14 min ago
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong 23 min ago
- Events planned to mark Harvey Milk Day 4 min ago
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Historic Livermore light bulb briefly turns off
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
36 min ago