7 On Your Side
Bill signed banning self checkout alcohol sales
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill banning the sale of alcohol at self checkout lanes.
A 7 On Your Side hidden camera investigation found the scanners could be tricked into allowing sales of alcohol to minors.
"We feel this is a loophole that's going to make the situation worse and we'd like to make sure anyone who buys alcohol needs to be ID'd at the checkout stand," said Assm. Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco.
Opponents to the law say there are safeguards in place and this is simply a ploy by unions to keep the self checkout scanners out of supermarkets.
jerry brown, alcohol, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 18 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos