7 On Your Side
White House jobs bill would have protected unemployed
Senate Republicans have voted to kill the White House jobs bill and one aspect of the president's plan would have protected the unemployed from discrimination.
It's hard to believe, but some job recruiters have actually been telling applicants not to apply if they're unemployed. And with the unemployment rate at over 9 percent nationwide, that negatively impacts 14 million people. President Obama's job bill would have made discrimination against the unemployed illegal, so this issue could pop up again. It's a measure being applauded by some, but opposed by small business.
"It's not just bad for the workers, it's bad for the country. It's bad for the economy. It's a tremendous waste of human capital to tell people that because they lost a job they're not eligible to get a new one," said Drew Courtney from People for the American Way.
"We are concerned it would chill the hiring practices of small businesses because they would be worried they would get sued if they failed to hire a person who had been unemployed for a long period of time," said Karen Harned from the National Federation of Independent Business.
The group fears the law will result in frivolous lawsuits.
unemployment, white house, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 21 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
17 min ago
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
21 min ago