7 On Your Side
If it blows a tree onto your house, are you covered?
The winds are expected to gust to dangerous levels around the Bay Area Wednesday night. So if it blows a tree onto your house, are you covered?
Generally your homeowner's insurance will cover damage caused by fallen trees, snapped power lines, even shingles blowing off your roof. But there are the deductibles and some limitations.
The Insurance Information Network of California offers some guidelines:
- If a tree falls on your house, insurance pays for repairs and tree removal. However, if there's no property damage, insurance won't pay just for taking away a fallen tree.
- If you have roof damage, insurance pays for repairs, unless the roof was in poor condition.
- Be wary if someone comes by offering to repair your home at a low cost. Scam artists often prey on storm victims.
storm, wind, 7 on your side
- Wounded police officer back in surgery 6 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery 45 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 58 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire 7 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at...
45 min ago