7 On Your Side
Groups concerned about Starbucks gift cards
You may not realize it, but if you buy a gift card at star bucks you're also agreeing not to go to court over it. The coffee giant has included an arbitration clause in the contract that comes with your gift card.
That means customers give up their rights to go to court or file a class-action lawsuit if they have a dispute over the cards.
Public citizen and other consumer groups called on the star bucks Thursday to remove that clause. They worry star bucks could impose fees or other limits on the cards and consumers could not bring a class action to fight it.
Starbucks has not responded to our requests for comment
starbucks, 7 on your side
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 56 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 24 min ago
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire 12 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
45 min ago