7 On Your Side
Elder crimes called crime of this century
It's being called the crime of the century and some of the most vulnerable are being targeted. The crime of the century does not include international intrigue or Tom Cruise. Nope, the crime of the century involves your nana and her social security check.
There are so many scams targeting the elderly, the national council on aging is calling elder crime, the crime of the century. Those who are older are targeted because they often have saved money and always have social security.
The National Council on Aging lists the top three crimes against the elderly. One is health care fraud, which includes crimes surrounding Medicare and health insurance. Another is counterfeit prescription drugs. This is often an internet scam that prays on the ill with limited incomes. And the thrid most common crime is funeral and cemetery scams. Older folks want to take care of their final wishes and the bad guys prey on that.
Bank robber Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks and he replied, "that's where the money is."
In 2012, older people are "where the money is."
scam, social security, 7 on your side, michael finney
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy 18 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday