7 On Your Side
Prepaid cards can contain hidden fees
A new survey by Consumer Action advises users of prepaid cards how to avoid the so-called "gotcha" fees associated with many of the cards.
The cards are used by some as a convenience; others have little choice since they don't have banking or credit card accounts. The cards are preloaded with money and then are used like a debit card.
Consumer action suggests avoiding ATM fees by requesting cash back when making a purchase. Also reloading fees can be avoided by using direct deposit.
credit cards, 7 on your side
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 35 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case