7 On Your Side
Prepaid cards can contain hidden fees
A new survey by Consumer Action advises users of prepaid cards how to avoid the so-called "gotcha" fees associated with many of the cards.
The cards are used by some as a convenience; others have little choice since they don't have banking or credit card accounts. The cards are preloaded with money and then are used like a debit card.
Consumer action suggests avoiding ATM fees by requesting cash back when making a purchase. Also reloading fees can be avoided by using direct deposit.
credit cards, 7 on your side
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed