7 On Your Side
Prepaid cards can contain hidden fees
A new survey by Consumer Action advises users of prepaid cards how to avoid the so-called "gotcha" fees associated with many of the cards.
The cards are used by some as a convenience; others have little choice since they don't have banking or credit card accounts. The cards are preloaded with money and then are used like a debit card.
Consumer action suggests avoiding ATM fees by requesting cash back when making a purchase. Also reloading fees can be avoided by using direct deposit.
credit cards, 7 on your side
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire 34 min ago
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos