7 On Your Side
CA unemployment benefits now only go for 79 weeks
Unemployment benefits in California are less this week than last week all because of new federal regulations that mandate benefit cuts as a state's employment picture improves.
Instead of mailing out checks for 99 weeks, the state will only offer benefits for 79 weeks.
Nationwide the unemployment rate is just a tad more than 8 percent. In California, unemployment is hovering around 11 percent. But since our rate has gone down, we are losing the benefits.
We aren't alone though, eight other states cut their benefits on Saturday, too. That brings the cutbacks to 27 states with 400,000 long-term unemployed workers.
jobs, unemployment, 7 on your side
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 34 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday