7 On Your Side
FTC says Oreck made false claims
If you bought an Oreck vacuum cleaner, you could have money coming your way.
The Federal Trade Commission says the company made false and unproven claims that their product could reduce the risk of flu and other illnesses.
Consumers who bought the Oreck Halo Vacuum will receive $25 for each purchase. Those who bought the Oreck Pro-Shield Plus Air Cleaner will get $24.65 cents for each item.
Nearly $700,000 in checks are being mailed beginning Tuesday.
In other Federal Trade Commission news, a federal judge ordered "Pom Wonderful" Pomegranate juice to stop making claims of health benefits and performance for its beverages.
FTC, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 57 min ago
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 26 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 1 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos