7 On Your Side
FTC says Oreck made false claims
If you bought an Oreck vacuum cleaner, you could have money coming your way.
The Federal Trade Commission says the company made false and unproven claims that their product could reduce the risk of flu and other illnesses.
Consumers who bought the Oreck Halo Vacuum will receive $25 for each purchase. Those who bought the Oreck Pro-Shield Plus Air Cleaner will get $24.65 cents for each item.
Nearly $700,000 in checks are being mailed beginning Tuesday.
In other Federal Trade Commission news, a federal judge ordered "Pom Wonderful" Pomegranate juice to stop making claims of health benefits and performance for its beverages.
FTC, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee; Shampoo
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday