7 On Your Side
American Airlines to reduce July flying
DALLAS (KGO) -- American Airlines plans to cut some flights in July because of a shortage of pilots.
The airline says the 1 percent reduction in July flying is partly because more pilots are calling in sick.
A spokesman for the pilots' union said Wednesday that pilots could be using sick leave to take care of elective procedures before their premiums and deductibles go up.
Meanwhile, American is also expected to announce the next step in its plan to eliminate 1,400 management and support jobs by late summer.
American and parent AMR Corp. filed for bankruptcy protection in November.
american airlines, 7 on your side, michael finney
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 51 min ago
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday