7 On Your Side
American Airlines to reduce July flying
DALLAS (KGO) -- American Airlines plans to cut some flights in July because of a shortage of pilots.
The airline says the 1 percent reduction in July flying is partly because more pilots are calling in sick.
A spokesman for the pilots' union said Wednesday that pilots could be using sick leave to take care of elective procedures before their premiums and deductibles go up.
Meanwhile, American is also expected to announce the next step in its plan to eliminate 1,400 management and support jobs by late summer.
American and parent AMR Corp. filed for bankruptcy protection in November.
american airlines, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 20 min ago
- Free health clinics to take place in the Bay Area
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos