7 On Your Side
New apps keep you safe while traveling
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Smartphones are always with us, used for communication and entertainment, but they can now be lifesavers too. A new set of apps help to keep you safe while traveling.
iTriage allows you to look up symptoms and medical conditions on the go.
But say you didn't have iTriage and the worst happens -- you collapse while traveling, who would know your existing medical conditions?
ICE 4 TRAVEL stores your emergency contact information as wallpaper on your phone in seven different languages. It works even when your phone is in sleep mode.
Ping4 is an app that can keep you safe from emergency situations while traveling by sending public safety alerts to your smartphone.
"This is the future of crisis management; getting important information into your hands, right now," Ping4 spokesperson Jim Bender said.
Bender says it was made for situations like the tsunami in Japan. He says with Ping4, emergency workers could warn you in a matter of seconds.
"The police in Japan could have clicked and dragged a box around the coastline of Japan and said, 'There is an earthquake in the Pacific and we expect giant 100 foot waves within the hour you must immediately get inland and to higher ground,'" Bender said.
You tell the app which alerts you're interested in and you only receive those.
The apps are all free.
smartphones, apps, travel, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 9 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
56 min ago
- Only On 7: Jahi McMath's mother speaks out
16 min ago
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos