7 On Your Side
Foreclosure help company looks at housing trend
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (KGO) -- Getting your home mortgage modified is no easy task since banks sometimes drag their feet through the process, but 7 On Your Side found there is a place you can turn to for help.
With the help of 7 On Your Side Regina Harper was able to get her mortgage modified, but she remembers those dark days before the new loan came through.
"I remember when I used to look at the four walls and think, 'How long have I got to be here?'" said Regina Harper of San Leandro.
We hear a lot about foreclosures, we see our neighbors forced out of their homes. So we asked: when is the pain going to end?
The answer, according to YouWalkAway.com, a foreclosure help company, is this is going to go on for years.
"It is like a band-aid slowly being ripped off rather and dealing with it in a quick manner. It is a long process and it is going to continue to go for a long time," said Jon Maddux from YouWalkAway.com.
Maddux is a cofounder of You Walk Away and he says banks are taking their sweet time. You Walk Away recently looked at its data and found its clients have a long wait before they hear from the bank.
"A high percentage of our clients haven't even getting a foreclosure notice for 15 months, 16 months, 18 months, in some as high as 2-and-a-half years and still haven't received a foreclosure notice," said Maddux.
He says if things keep going at this rate, the housing crisis won't end any time soon.
"It is not really considerably going to start to go back on an upward trend, for in my opinion, any kind of significant trend for about 10 years," Maddux.
The good news for those hoping to increase their home equity is that rents are now going up and buying a home is looking like a better deal all the time.
housing market, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 41 min ago
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
57 min ago