7 On Your Side
Product lets you call without a cellphone bill
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- How would you like to use your smartphone but never pay a monthly bill? There's a new product that's about to hit the market that allows you to do just that.
Smartphones are such a part of our lives now it is hard to imagine living without them. It is not, however, hard to imagine living without that smartphone bill.
"This is costing me nothing. It is 100 percent free," says Nicolas Abramovic of FreedomPop.com, describing the Freedom Sleeve for iPod. It is a game changer. "It hooks into your iPod where it makes it about the same size as your iPhone and suddenly you can make phone calls, browse the web, listen to music, without paying a monthly plan at all."
How? The sleeve picks up a broadband connection FreedomPop buys in bulk from Sprint and other companies. The signal is similar to the WiFi in your home, but over a larger area. When you buy a Freedom Sleeve you get 1 GB of data a month at no additional charge.
Nice idea, but does it work? 7 On Your Side put the device to the test. Watch the video in the player above to see the results.
cellphone, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 51
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison 9 min ago
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda 9 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized 13 min ago
- 16-year-old killed in San Jose bike accident 23 min ago
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder 32 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in...
7 min ago