7 On Your Side
Starbucks works with scientists on biorefinery
Have you ever wondered what Starbucks does with its coffee grounds and uneaten pastries? Turns out, the coffee giant has spent a lot of time thinking about it too.
Some of the ideas they've come up with include turning the grounds and baked goods into detergent and plastic through a process called "biorefinery."
Starbucks wants to reduce the amount of stale food that ends up in the landfill every year. Scientists from Hong Kong's city university are working with Starbucks on the project.
starbucks, coffee, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Elevator company cited in death at Levi's Stadium
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco 45 min ago
- MLB intends to ban plate collisions
- Spotify launches free mobile streaming service
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 55 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world 42 min ago
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday