7 On Your Side
Starbucks works with scientists on biorefinery
Have you ever wondered what Starbucks does with its coffee grounds and uneaten pastries? Turns out, the coffee giant has spent a lot of time thinking about it too.
Some of the ideas they've come up with include turning the grounds and baked goods into detergent and plastic through a process called "biorefinery."
Starbucks wants to reduce the amount of stale food that ends up in the landfill every year. Scientists from Hong Kong's city university are working with Starbucks on the project.
starbucks, coffee, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation 12 min ago
- Wand used to heat wrinkles away 34 min ago
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday