7 On Your Side
Starbucks works with scientists on biorefinery
Have you ever wondered what Starbucks does with its coffee grounds and uneaten pastries? Turns out, the coffee giant has spent a lot of time thinking about it too.
Some of the ideas they've come up with include turning the grounds and baked goods into detergent and plastic through a process called "biorefinery."
Starbucks wants to reduce the amount of stale food that ends up in the landfill every year. Scientists from Hong Kong's city university are working with Starbucks on the project.
starbucks, coffee, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies 47 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos