7 On Your Side
Starbucks works with scientists on biorefinery
Have you ever wondered what Starbucks does with its coffee grounds and uneaten pastries? Turns out, the coffee giant has spent a lot of time thinking about it too.
Some of the ideas they've come up with include turning the grounds and baked goods into detergent and plastic through a process called "biorefinery."
Starbucks wants to reduce the amount of stale food that ends up in the landfill every year. Scientists from Hong Kong's city university are working with Starbucks on the project.
starbucks, coffee, 7 on your side, michael finney
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire 45 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station 56 min ago
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery 28 min ago
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped 2 min ago
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos