7 On Your Side
California breaks new solar production record
The state of California has reached another first. This summer we became the number one solar energy producer in the nation.
The state produced more than 1,000 megawatts of solar energy on two of the hottest days this summer. A thousand megawatts is equivalent to energy produced by two gas-fired power plants. That's a record amount for California and more than any other state ever. The California Public Utilities Commission says it's only the beginning.
"It has been way behind up until the last few years. Now it is coming on like gangbusters as you would say very, very fast. By the end of the decade the most dominant renewable energy source in California will be solar," said Michael Peevey, president of the state PUC.
The state's goal is to harness one-third of its energy from renewable sourced by the year 2020.
solar energy, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash 52 min ago
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer 34 min ago
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos