7 On Your Side
California breaks new solar production record
The state of California has reached another first. This summer we became the number one solar energy producer in the nation.
The state produced more than 1,000 megawatts of solar energy on two of the hottest days this summer. A thousand megawatts is equivalent to energy produced by two gas-fired power plants. That's a record amount for California and more than any other state ever. The California Public Utilities Commission says it's only the beginning.
"It has been way behind up until the last few years. Now it is coming on like gangbusters as you would say very, very fast. By the end of the decade the most dominant renewable energy source in California will be solar," said Michael Peevey, president of the state PUC.
The state's goal is to harness one-third of its energy from renewable sourced by the year 2020.
solar energy, 7 on your side, michael finney
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 53 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 40 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
10 min ago