7 On Your Side
Verdicts in for three men in SF real estate fraud case
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There is an update on a 7-On-Your Side investigation. Verdicts are in for three men in a sensational San Francisco real estate fraud case that really sounds like a Hollywood movie.
A jury found telecommunications executive Jay Shah guilty of all 13 felony counts of conspiring to steal three exclusive condos from under the nose of real estate executive Shirley Hwang.
Prosecutors said Shah forged real estate documents to transfer properties at one Rincon Hill to a shell corporation and then took out loans on the property. Shah's attorney had no comment. Jurors simply said Shah's testimony wasn't believable.
"It just seemed like things were questionable that his demeanor on the stand, it didn't convince us that he was telling the truth in a lot of cases," said Jury foreman Michael Carmody.
There were two other defendants in this case. Attorney and real estate broker Melvin Emerich was cleared of filing false deeds. Tennis instructor Winston Lum was found guilty of six counts including forgery, filing false deeds, grand theft and attempted grand theft, but not guilty of filing false documents. For Hwang, it's the end of a three year epic battle to reclaim her properties.
"The verdict speaks for itself and justice prevailed and I can move on with my life," said Hwang.
The jury failed to reach a verdict on three counts of money laundering against Lum and Emerich. Meanwhile, the accused mastermind in this case may never be tried because earlier this month he was found guilty of murder in Palm Springs.
real estate, fraud, 7 on your side
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle 33 min ago
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015 19 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 43 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos