7 On Your Side
Fugitive busted in multimillion-dollar scam nabbed
SAN FRANCISCO -- Authorities have arrested a man who went on the lam last month while out on bail as a verdict against him was pending in a case related to a complicated scam at San Francisco's One Rincon Hill residential tower, prosecutors said.
Jay Shah, 48, posted bail and then failed to appear in court on Sept. 19 when a San Francisco Superior Court jury found him guilty of 13 felony counts of grand theft, money laundering and other fraud charges that could result in a sentence of more than 35 years in prison.
Prosecutors announced Wednesday that Shah had been apprehended. District Attorney George Gascon is holding a news conference at noon today to provide more details about the arrest.
Shah and four other people allegedly developed the One Rincon Hill scheme.
The group put three condos belonging to an unwitting resident under a conspirator's name, took out loans against the properties and drained them of their equity, then laundered the money through shell companies, according to the district attorney's office. The condos were valued at about $5.5 million total.
A co-defendant in the case is Kaushal Niroula, who has been dubbed the "Dark Prince" for his role in the case and a separate murder case in Riverside County. He was convicted of the murder and is awaiting sentencing in that case in Southern California.
Another co-defendant, 48-year-old Winston Lum, was convicted on Sept. 19 of six felony counts of grand theft and filing false documents.
A jury hung on charges against a fourth defendant, Melvin Emerich, who is due back in court later this month to set a date for a new trial.
The fifth alleged scammer, Grachelle Languban, remains at large and authorities believe she may have fled to the Philippines.
real estate, fraud, crime, housing market, 7 on your side
- Occupy the Farm protesters returning to Albany land
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Cyclists converge in Livermore for Amgen Tour of CA
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center 38 min ago
- Missing 3-year-old Hayward boy found 50 min ago
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack 35 min ago
- Witnesses: Car strikes crowd at Va. parade 24 min ago
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention...
38 min ago