7 On Your Side
Fugitive busted in multimillion-dollar scam nabbed
SAN FRANCISCO -- Authorities have arrested a man who went on the lam last month while out on bail as a verdict against him was pending in a case related to a complicated scam at San Francisco's One Rincon Hill residential tower, prosecutors said.
Jay Shah, 48, posted bail and then failed to appear in court on Sept. 19 when a San Francisco Superior Court jury found him guilty of 13 felony counts of grand theft, money laundering and other fraud charges that could result in a sentence of more than 35 years in prison.
Prosecutors announced Wednesday that Shah had been apprehended. District Attorney George Gascon is holding a news conference at noon today to provide more details about the arrest.
Shah and four other people allegedly developed the One Rincon Hill scheme.
The group put three condos belonging to an unwitting resident under a conspirator's name, took out loans against the properties and drained them of their equity, then laundered the money through shell companies, according to the district attorney's office. The condos were valued at about $5.5 million total.
A co-defendant in the case is Kaushal Niroula, who has been dubbed the "Dark Prince" for his role in the case and a separate murder case in Riverside County. He was convicted of the murder and is awaiting sentencing in that case in Southern California.
Another co-defendant, 48-year-old Winston Lum, was convicted on Sept. 19 of six felony counts of grand theft and filing false documents.
A jury hung on charges against a fourth defendant, Melvin Emerich, who is due back in court later this month to set a date for a new trial.
The fifth alleged scammer, Grachelle Languban, remains at large and authorities believe she may have fled to the Philippines.
real estate, fraud, crime, housing market, 7 on your side
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall 10 min ago
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 17 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge 7 min ago
- Scrabble asks fans to choose new word for dictionary
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed 36 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos