7 On Your Side
What to do if a pipe breaks near your house
DALY CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Car owners who suffered damage in Tuesday morning's pipe break and flood in Daly City can get reimbursed for any repair bills or replacement costs.
The first place that victims often turn to in times of disaster is their insurance company.
"I plan to call my insurance, maybe, if there's any damage; I think they're going to cover it because it's full coverage," Daly City resident Emanuel Sart said.
Victims can also file a claim with the city of Daly City. Claim forms are available at City Hall in the city clerk's office. Each claim will be reviewed by the city's risk manager and outside claim adjuster.
It's also important to know that your auto insurance won't cover damage from the pipe break unless you purchased comprehensive coverage.
A representative from an insurance industry trade group says not all California drivers carry comprehensive coverage.
"If you own your car outright however, you may not have that comprehensive coverage, so it's good to call your insurer to make sure of what you have," Insurance Information Network spokesperson Tully Lehman said.
Comprehensive coverage is not mandatory in California unless you have an outstanding loan on your car. So if something like that happens to you, check your insurance policy -- simple liability or collision coverage are not enough.
daly city, water main break, flooding, insurance, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos