7 On Your Side
Americans spend big on pets
Americans may be watching their budgets, but they are big spenders when it comes to their pets.
Animal lovers spent about $53 billion on food, veterinary care, kennels and other services last year, up 5 percent from the previous year, according to the American Pet Products Association.
About two-thirds of that money was spent on food and traditional vet care. Spending on alternative care like chiropractic and other therapies came in at more than $12 billion.
animal, 7 on your side
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Oakland looks to give micro-loans to small businesses
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday