7 On Your Side
Americans spend big on pets
Americans may be watching their budgets, but they are big spenders when it comes to their pets.
Animal lovers spent about $53 billion on food, veterinary care, kennels and other services last year, up 5 percent from the previous year, according to the American Pet Products Association.
About two-thirds of that money was spent on food and traditional vet care. Spending on alternative care like chiropractic and other therapies came in at more than $12 billion.
animal, 7 on your side
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 13 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88 59 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 51 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs 42 min ago
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary 25 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 13 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 1 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
51 min ago