7 On Your Side
Couple's switch to satellite more trouble than it's worth
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Sometimes a business will offer you a good deal, just for being a new customer. One Bay Area couple saved money by switching to a new satellite TV service, but their new system made it hard for them to watch TV.
Satellite TV usually works great but the couple experienced so many technical problems, they canceled their service. It cost them more than $1,000 to get out of the deal. That's when they turned to 7 On Your Side for help.
Ivan and Judie Aronson switched to Dish TV because it was offering a low price for new customers. However, they said, they could hardly enjoy television any more.
"You wanted a station; it wouldn't give you that station, it would give you another station," Judie said.
"It got so bad I decided I'm not going to play with it anymore and I canceled them," Ivan said.
Luckily Ivan says he never signed a 2-year contract. When he canceled the service, Dish sent a technician to pick up the equipment, and everything seemed fine -- until three months later.
Dish charged him $600 for the equipment even though a technician had picked it up and he had this receipt. Dish also charged a $400 early termination fee, even though Ivan says he never signed a contract.
Ivan disputed the charges on his credit card but Dish would only refund the $600 equipment fee and only after the parts arrived at its warehouse.
Dish kept telling Ivan his equipment had been delivered to Los Angeles, but had to arrive in Arizona before he could get his refund.
Months passed. Dish said it still didn't have the equipment. The Aronsons had enough. They contacted 7 On Your Side. We contacted dish and the very next day they got a call.
Dish agreed not only to refund the $600 equipment fee, but to drop the early termination fee. The company issued a statement saying, "We work hard to deliver an excellent entertainment experience, and it is our goal to offer a prompt, satisfactory resolution to any dissatisfied customer. In this situation, we were able to provide the customer an appropriate credit. We thoroughly train our representatives to handle customer matters efficiently and accurately, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve. We appreciate ABC7 bringing this matter to our attention..."
Ivan and Judie say after Dish promised a refund, they received a call from a representative in Arizona saying they were still waiting for that equipment to arrive. We thank Dish for speeding up the refund process and returning the funds.
television, san jose, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire