7 On Your Side
Encouraging news out in real estate market
There is more encouraging news out in real estate markets across the country. 7 On Your Side takes a look at what it could mean for California homeowners.
It's a good time to sell your house. Home prices in 20 major markets are at their highest in seven years. You can bet the San Francisco Bay Area is on the list.
The S & P/Case-Shiller home price index calculated growth rates for a 12 month period ending last February. They looked at 20 major markets and found home prices went up 9.3 percent.
The housing recovery's been driven by near record low mortgage rates, lower unemployment and more buyers than sellers.
This last factor is a big one in California and the Bay Area where the inventory of homes on the market is one of the tightest in the country.
housing market, economy, real estate, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 56 min ago
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school 38 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info 4 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday