7 On Your Side
NFL player sues to get engagement ring back from ex
If you break off your engagement, should you get to keep that engagement ring? A jilted NFL football player says no way.
Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams is suing his former fiancée in Texas. He wants to get back the big sparkler he put on her finger -- worth nearly $800,000.
His former fiancée says the ring was a gift and she's keeping it. Williams' lawyer says she broke it off, so the ring is his.
"The fact that the marriage is not taking place, that gift hasn't been completed; it seems cut and dry based on Texas law that in fact she has to give that engagement ring back," Lois Liberman said.
Courts in different states have ruled differently on this issue. Some agree the ring is a gift but others ruled it's not a gift until there's a marriage.
weddings, celebrity, 7 on your side
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday