7 On Your Side
NFL player sues to get engagement ring back from ex
If you break off your engagement, should you get to keep that engagement ring? A jilted NFL football player says no way.
Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams is suing his former fiancée in Texas. He wants to get back the big sparkler he put on her finger -- worth nearly $800,000.
His former fiancée says the ring was a gift and she's keeping it. Williams' lawyer says she broke it off, so the ring is his.
"The fact that the marriage is not taking place, that gift hasn't been completed; it seems cut and dry based on Texas law that in fact she has to give that engagement ring back," Lois Liberman said.
Courts in different states have ruled differently on this issue. Some agree the ring is a gift but others ruled it's not a gift until there's a marriage.
weddings, celebrity, 7 on your side
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord 30 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing 37 min ago
- Memorial to take place in SF to honor Mandela 17 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Oakland fire; Asiana crash hearing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos