7 On Your Side
App offers cheap overseas calls
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Because so many of us have unlimited calling plans, we often think the cellphone calls we make are free, but they aren't all that way -- that's especially true if you're calling overseas. 7 On Your Side reports, now there's now an app for that.
Here's an app you might want to download -- Rebtel. Its motto is "talk more with your loved ones."
It has worked for Redwood City resident Grant Spector. He called home from Australia.
"It cost a couple pennies a minute if you're not connected to Wi-Fi. So it is a pretty cheap way to stay in touch with family and friends," said Spector.
When you connect through the Internet with someone who also has Rebtel, there is no charge at all. If you go phone to phone the rates are cheap.
"Then I believe it costs money, but only a few cents," said Rebtel.
He is right. Only a few cents and that's for the entire call. Phone China through Rebtel and it will cost you less than 2 cents a minute. A traditional mobile phone company will charge you $1.99.
Andreas Bernstrom is the founder of Rebtel which is based out of Sweden. He said, "What we are doing in the background is we are buying these minutes from operators and we are routing them through our system."
It is the same phone lines, same cell towers and same satellites, but the time is bought in bulk.
"The user doesn't have a clue. The user is just using the Reptel application, just making a call in the same way they usually do, but instead of paying maybe $1 for an international call they are doing it for one cent," said Bernstrom.
So where did the name Rebtel come from? It's a rebel telephone.
cellphone, smartphones, apps, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 13 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 7 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos