7 On Your Side
Phone company switches neighbors' phone lines
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- In Pinole, two neighbors started getting very mysterious phone calls. They were all coming from complete strangers. They finally realized their phone lines were switched but the phone company wouldn't fix it. That's when they came to 7 On Your Side for help.
Sally Cieslak had never met Ruth Anne Johnson, who lives down the street, until an odd twist of fate brought them together.
"I came home one day and we didn't have any phones whatsoever," Johnson said.
Landlines went down all along the quiet street. And when service came back, something strange began to happen.
"We started getting calls for people that we had no idea who they were," Cieslak said.
Johnson kept getting calls for people she didn't know. The same happened to Cieslak.
Cieslak started to ask callers for the number they were trying to reach and soon learned they had all dialed the same number, but it was not hers. So Cieslak called the mystery number only to hear her own phone start to ring. So she dialed her own number and to her amazement, an unfamiliar voice picked up.
Cieslak and Johnson realized they were neighbors and they were getting each other's phone calls, some of them rather private.
"It was breaching confidentiality for me to know about them which really made me wonder what they knew about me," Cieslak said.
They both kept calling AT&T, which kept promising to fix the problem. However, weeks later, they were still getting each other's calls. Soon they started relaying messages.
"I had to accept what was going on and take a name and number," Johnson said.
Finally, AT&T gave Johnson instructions on fixing the phones herself. She said forget it and contacted 7 On Your Side.
After being contacted by 7 On Your Side, AT&T came right out and plugged the right phones into the right houses.
The company issued a statement saying, "The issue, which our technicians have since resolved, was our mistake and we apologize for the inconvenience it has caused."
AT&T, pinole, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival 28 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun 28 min ago
- Man prefers 3D-printed hand to pricey prostheses 11 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher 32 min ago
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos