7 On Your Side
Phone company switches neighbors' phone lines
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- In Pinole, two neighbors started getting very mysterious phone calls. They were all coming from complete strangers. They finally realized their phone lines were switched but the phone company wouldn't fix it. That's when they came to 7 On Your Side for help.
Sally Cieslak had never met Ruth Anne Johnson, who lives down the street, until an odd twist of fate brought them together.
"I came home one day and we didn't have any phones whatsoever," Johnson said.
Landlines went down all along the quiet street. And when service came back, something strange began to happen.
"We started getting calls for people that we had no idea who they were," Cieslak said.
Johnson kept getting calls for people she didn't know. The same happened to Cieslak.
Cieslak started to ask callers for the number they were trying to reach and soon learned they had all dialed the same number, but it was not hers. So Cieslak called the mystery number only to hear her own phone start to ring. So she dialed her own number and to her amazement, an unfamiliar voice picked up.
Cieslak and Johnson realized they were neighbors and they were getting each other's phone calls, some of them rather private.
"It was breaching confidentiality for me to know about them which really made me wonder what they knew about me," Cieslak said.
They both kept calling AT&T, which kept promising to fix the problem. However, weeks later, they were still getting each other's calls. Soon they started relaying messages.
"I had to accept what was going on and take a name and number," Johnson said.
Finally, AT&T gave Johnson instructions on fixing the phones herself. She said forget it and contacted 7 On Your Side.
After being contacted by 7 On Your Side, AT&T came right out and plugged the right phones into the right houses.
The company issued a statement saying, "The issue, which our technicians have since resolved, was our mistake and we apologize for the inconvenience it has caused."
AT&T, pinole, 7 on your side, michael finney
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire 50 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos