7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports taste tests pop chips
Pop chips claim to be a healthy alternative to potato chips. So how healthy are they? And more importantly how do they taste? Consumer Reports has partnered exclusively with 7 On Your Side for a new taste test of popped chips.
They're the latest popular snack-craze - chips that are popped. And they're being pitched by pop stars like Katy Perry and Bruno Mars. The popped snacks are made of corn, rice, potato, chickpeas, or a mix of those. And then, rather than fried, most are heated and pressurized -- until they pop.
"The clear message is that these popped snacks are more healthful. But we wondered if they really are," said Amy Keating, Consumer Reports.
After crunching nutritional data for 12 different popped chips, Consumer Reports found, it's a mixed bag. Most are less than 130 calories and four grams of fat per serving. But that's actually more than some healthier crunchy-snacks like Lay's Baked original potato chips which have about the same number of calories but half the fat. It's also more than Quaker salt free rice cakes, which have no fat and only 35 calories each.
"But the skinny on fat is, it's all relative. Popped chips have less than half the fat of several other snacks we looked at, including Cheese Puffs, Doritos, Regular Lay's potato chips and even Wise Butter Air-popped Popcorn," said Keating.
Consumer Reports says try the Hummus popped snacks and you'll also get a bit more fiber than most others - three grams per serving.
So if you're looking to join pop stars in their crunchy snack quest, popped chips might be your ticket.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
(All Consumer Reports Material Copyright 2010. Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
consumer reports, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home 29 min ago
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered 14 min ago
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Big-rig accident blocks WB I-580 lanes in Pleasanton
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae 47 min ago
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Journey guitarist to get married in SF on pay-per-view
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday