7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports: Lexus, Toyota top auto reliability survey
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The results of the annual Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey were announced Tuesday.
While Japanese automakers came out on top, this year they face some stiff competition.
According to Consumer Reports' just-released auto survey, the most reliable new car you can buy is the 2014 Subaru Forester SUV.
To find out which cars are least likely to give you trouble, Consumer Reports asked subscribers if they'd had any serious car problems in the last 12 months.
"We gathered responses on 1.1 million cars and we used that huge sampling of data to predict how well new cars that are now on sale will hold up," Consumer Reports spokesperson Rik Paul said.
So, which ones were the most reliable carmakers? Lexus, Toyota and Acura, all Japanese brands, took the top three spots. But something new was revealed in the survey this year.
"European and American manufacturers have moved up in the rankings. They're giving the Japanese automakers some tough competition," Paul said.
Audi came in fourth place, making it the most reliable European brand. And Volvo, also European, jumped up to number seven.
GMC, with SUV's like the Acadia, was named the top American brand at number nine.
But the news for Ford and Lincoln was not so good.
"Ford and Lincoln have had trouble with the My Touch infotainment system over the last couple years. Our survey found that complaints went down when Ford updated the system, but the problem rate is still too high," Paul said.
Overall, Ford ended up near the bottom of the new-car reliability rankings.
The cars from MINI came in at the very bottom because they had the most problems in the Consumer Reports survey.
7 on your side, cheryl jennings
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway 1 min ago
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting 3 min ago
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday