7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
Consumer Reports has partnered exclusively with 7 On Your Side for a report on the latest handheld gaming electronics.
If you have a small gamer on your list this holiday season, chances are he wants a portable video-game player. Consumer Reports checked out the offerings from the two main game makers, Sony and Nintendo.
Sony's handheld device is called the PlayStation Vita, $200. It has better graphics than Nintendo and is a good choice for someone who already has a PlayStation gaming system.
"It works as a sidekick to those consoles. So especially with the PlayStation 4, it has remote capabilities, which means that you can play some of your PS 4 titles on your PlayStation Vita," said Matt Ferretti, Consumer Reports.
For the younger set, Nintendo has some real benenfits.
"Nintendo's lineup is generally better for kids because it offers more kid-friendly games," said Ferretti.
They include popular series such as Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda. There are three Nintendo devices available: the 2DS, the 3DS, and the 3DS XL, ranging in price from $130 to $200.
"The 3DS and 3DS XL do the exact same thing. They both play the same 3DS games in 3D, and they're backward compatible with Nintendo's previous-generation DS games. The only difference is that the 3DS XL is larger than the 3DS," said Ferretti.
The 2DS looks a little different but plays all the same games, though not in 3D. Consumer Reports says it's a great choice for any small gamers on your gift list and, at $129.99, is the least expensive.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
(All Consumer Reports Material Copyright 2010. Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
consumer reports, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 39 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 33 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 1 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 51 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 43 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 26 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos