7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports reveals top home gym equipment
Consumer Reports has partnered exclusively with 7 On Your Side to reveal the top home exercise equipment.
Gyms are a great way to get in shape. But attendance drops when New Year's resolutions wane.
"People stop working out for all sorts of reasons. But lack of time and inconvenience are two of the most common," said Trisha Calvo, Consumer Reports. "When you have an exercise machine at home, you eliminate both of those factors."
Consumer Reports tested treadmills, rowing machines, spin bikes and ellipticals.
"If you're just starting out or you have back, hip, or knee problems, an elliptical is a great alternative to a treadmill," said Consumer Reports Senior Analyst Peter Anzalone. "It creates less impact on your joints and it can still give you a great cardio workout."
After testing dozens, the AFG 3.1AE Elliptical, for $1,100, is a great choice.
And with the popularity of indoor cycling, many want a spin bike at home.
Consumer Reports recommends the Diamondback Fitness 510IC for $800 that has a built-in workout program.
Another non-weight-bearing workout machine is a rower. While water-rowers offer a soothing sound, Consumer Report also looked for one that accommodates different-size users and has varied adjustments for foot pedals. The winner? The $900 Concept2 Model D.
Treadmills are the most popular exercise machine; the ProForm PRO 2000 was voted the "Best Buy" for around $1,200. It folds and is easy to store.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
(All Consumer Reports Material Copyright 2010. Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
consumer reports, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder 37 min ago
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon 44 min ago
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub 25 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench 38 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos