7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports tests popular, pricey vacuum
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Consumer Reports has partnered exclusively with 7 On Your Side for a report on new vacuums.
The Dyson Hard promises to make cleanups a snap. It vacuums and wet wipes at the same time. Consumer Reports tested to see if it's worth its hefty price tag.
This commercial for the Dyson Hard touts its ability to mop and vacuum all with one machine. That's nice but it costs $330.
Consumer reports pitted that pricey Dyson against a $40 Swiffer Sweeper, which is also designed for wet and dry cleaning.
"They're supposed to make floor cleaning easier, and you can use them with wet pads or dry. We wanted to see how well these hybrid cleaning tools actually work," said a Consumer Reports representative.
To see which worked best, testers used the cleaners on some tough messes, including grape jelly, gravy, ketchup and mud; both wet and dry.
The Swiffer's wet pads, which you buy separately, were better at picking up sticky kitchen spills than the Dyson, which left some residue behind. But, the Dyson was better at vacuuming up heavy dust.
The Dyson also comes with a detachable hand vacuum, which proved great at cleaning up Cheerios. But the Swiffer didn't have any problems with Cheerios either.
Consumer Reports says the $40 Swiffer is a better deal than the $330 Dyson.
If what you really want is a small lightweight vacuum, Consumer Reports found one that's better at vacuuming than either the Swiffer Sweeper or the Dyson Hard.
It's the Hoover Platinum Linx, Model Number BH 50010. It sells for $150. It can't help you with wet spills, but it works well on carpets and did an excellent job cleaning up pet hair.
consumer reports, 7 on your side, michael finney
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos