7 On Your Side
Consumer Reports tests popular, pricey vacuum
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Consumer Reports has partnered exclusively with 7 On Your Side for a report on new vacuums.
The Dyson Hard promises to make cleanups a snap. It vacuums and wet wipes at the same time. Consumer Reports tested to see if it's worth its hefty price tag.
This commercial for the Dyson Hard touts its ability to mop and vacuum all with one machine. That's nice but it costs $330.
Consumer reports pitted that pricey Dyson against a $40 Swiffer Sweeper, which is also designed for wet and dry cleaning.
"They're supposed to make floor cleaning easier, and you can use them with wet pads or dry. We wanted to see how well these hybrid cleaning tools actually work," said a Consumer Reports representative.
To see which worked best, testers used the cleaners on some tough messes, including grape jelly, gravy, ketchup and mud; both wet and dry.
The Swiffer's wet pads, which you buy separately, were better at picking up sticky kitchen spills than the Dyson, which left some residue behind. But, the Dyson was better at vacuuming up heavy dust.
The Dyson also comes with a detachable hand vacuum, which proved great at cleaning up Cheerios. But the Swiffer didn't have any problems with Cheerios either.
Consumer Reports says the $40 Swiffer is a better deal than the $330 Dyson.
If what you really want is a small lightweight vacuum, Consumer Reports found one that's better at vacuuming than either the Swiffer Sweeper or the Dyson Hard.
It's the Hoover Platinum Linx, Model Number BH 50010. It sells for $150. It can't help you with wet spills, but it works well on carpets and did an excellent job cleaning up pet hair.
consumer reports, 7 on your side, michael finney
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos