7 On Your Side
Delivery services help people stick to their diets
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Area is known for its fresh gourmet meals, but what if you're on a diet? 7 On Your Side's Michael Finney decided to find out by taking a look at diet delivery services.
The Paleo Diet, the Slow Carb Diet, the Zone Diet or just plain calorie counting, there's a new way to stick to a diet plan. Diet delivery services that deliver fresh meals to your door step.
"I like it because it's really easy," said dieter Jennifer Stakich.
Stakich uses a local diet delivery service called Lilah Belle's.
"It's about eating the right portions; the right amount of fat, proteins and carbs in a meal. And it's about enjoying what you eat," said Lilah Belle's owner Traci Freeman.
The San Francisco-based Lilah Belle's doesn't follow any particular diet plan.
"What I do follow is having the meals nutritionally balanced," said Freeman.
Lilah Belles offers 1,300 and 1,600 calorie plans. All meals are made fresh daily and delivered to you. Its daily plans average about $45 per day, plus delivery.
"A small bowl of quinoa and eat that if I have it there I'll reach for that, if I don't I'll reach for a sandwich or even worse a candy bar," said Stakich.
"Paleo, it's basically the concept that you eat everything that's right from the earth," said Evolution Meals owner Katherine Frank.
Frank says one of her most popular diet plans is the Paleo Diet.
The Daly City-based Evolution Meals also offers the Slow Carb Diet which was developed by Timothy Ferris, author of The 4-Hour Chef, The 4-Hour Body and The 4-Hour Work Week.
"So, slow carb is very similar to Paleo but it allows you to eat some legumes, like beans and you actually stay away from all sugar completely, including fruit," said Frank.
Evolution Meals' plans cost between $25 and $50 a day, depending on your choices.
For people on the Zone Diet, there is Fresh Diet. Fresh Diet meal plans range from $35 to $60 a day. The company's kitchen for the Bay Area is actually based in Los Angeles, but Fresh Meals are sent on a truck to San Rafael daily. The meals are delivered to your door in the middle of the night so they are ready to go as you walk out the door in the morning.
And for busy people that can make all the difference.
All three services deliver throughout the Bay Area. They also all offer gluten-free and low-sodium options.
diets, daly city, los angeles, 7 on your side, michael finney
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday