How You Can 'Keep Tahoe Blue'
Oct. 9 - KGO (KGO) -- I love visiting Lake Tahoe! So, when I heard about a new research center about to be built to study the lake last year, I wanted to know more. My husband and I went to the groundbreaking for the Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences in Incline Village and were so impressed with the goals of the center.
Key scientists in my report told me scientists are coming from all over the world for the official dedication, Saturday, Oct. 14, starting at 2 p.m. They say whatever happens at Lake Tahoe will have global implications. The scientists will share their research around the world in preserving pristine environments in spite of population pressures.
I learned there is something each of us can do:
- Try to use your vehicle as little as possible. Carpool whenever possible. Use the bike trails. Try using TART: Tahoe Area Rapid Transit
- Pick up your own garbage. Don't throw garbage of any kind in the lake.
- If you're out boating on the lake, be careful in how you refuel your boat, so the gas doesn't pollute the water.
- Avoid taking your boat too fast, close to the shore zone. Erosion of the shore by boats is a continuing problem. It contributes to about 10-percent of the nutrients coming into the lake that contribute to clouding the water.
- Boaters need to clean their propellers before putting the boat into the lake because they can wind up bringing an invasive species that pollutes the lake. People who boat in the Delta and then in Lake Tahoe are contaminating the lake, when they don't clean their propellers.
- Don't throw cigarette butts on the ground. They are litter and could start a fire that would devastate the lake. That could set back all the research for decades.
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole 44 min ago
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 34 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
34 min ago