Winter's heavy snows mean wild whitewater season
ON THE MERCED RIVER, Calif. (KGO) -- With this winter's heavy snow in the high Sierra, rafters can expect one of the best whitewater seasons in decades.
Guide Skylar Steranko has been rafting the Merced River for nearly 10 years and he has never seen it like this, this early in the season. Thanks to near record snowpack in the high Sierra, the Merced, and all northern California rivers, are running high this spring and the season's just beginning.
On this day, rafters took an 11-mile run with Zephyr Whitewater Rafting from El Portal, just west of Yosemite, to Bryceburg. Zephyr charges up to $115 for the half day trip and riders should be good swimmers.
The stretch of river covered in the Zephyr trip includes a good mix of Class 3 and 4 whitewater. (That's on a scale of 6 with 6 being un-runnable.)
It's the kind water that occasionally tosses a rafter or two from the boat.
"Falling out was fun and scary at the same time, but I'm glad I'm back in the boat now," rafter Maria Calomeris said.
The water's already running high and fast and with so much snow still up in the Sierra, the best is yet to come.
With the excitement this season brings, there's also a need for additional safety precautions. Until the water calms a bit, young children can't go along for the ride and because it's cold, wetsuits and extra layers are the way to go.
"It's pretty amazing, the kind of scenery we're in; it's been a bit cold, but it's been a good day," tourist Lee Eldridge said.
Well worth it for a true joy ride on one of California's last undammed rivers.
sierra, snow, assignment 7, laura anthony
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 54 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday 43 min ago
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
45 min ago