Journalist files claim against Caltrans and CHP
WILLITS, Calif. (KGO) -- A newspaper photographer arrested at the site of a controversial freeway construction project has filed a civil claim against Caltrans and the California Highway Patrol.
Steve Eberhard is a photographer for The Willits News in Mendocino County. Eberhard's photos have also appeared on ABC7 News in our coverage of Caltrans' controversial freeway bypass in Willits.
Eberhard was arrested and his cameras were confiscated last July when he tried to cover an early morning protest at the construction site. Caltrans had required the news media be accompanied by an escort at the site. Eberhard said he had telephoned for an escort, but the call was not returned.
Eberhard said he walked up to a CHP officer on the construction site, identified himself and asked to go closer to photograph protesters. As he was talking, Eberhard says another officer came up, handcuffed and arrested him. The CHP said Eberhard refused an order to leave. Eberhard denied that. The Mendocino County District Attorney declined to prosecute.
Eberhard's civil claim says his arrest followed months of threats and intimidation from the CHP. The claim says he was arrested "without a warrant, without reason to believe he violated any law and without any other legal justification."
Neither Caltrans nor CHP officials would comment on Eberhard's claim because they had not seen it yet. At the time of Eberhard's arrest, Caltrans spokesman Phil Frisbie said the requirement for an escort was to "ensure the safety of visitors and workers at the construction site."
James Ewert, general counsel for the California Newspaper Publishers Association told The Willits News, "This is the kind of behavior that happens in third world countries, not California."
Written by Jennifer Olney.
caltrans, mendocino county, traffic, lawsuit, highway 101, assignment 7
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway 26 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos