Popinator popcorn machine turns out to be hoax
It turns out the Popinator, an automatic popcorn device that's taken the internet by storm, is a hoax.
"The Popinator is a fully automated voice activated popcorn launching machine that is triggered by the word pop," said an electronic engineer for Thinkmodo.
However that's not really true. It's all just a guerilla marketing campaign for a popcorn company.
The co-founders of Thinkmodo dreamed up the gadget which actually fires popcorn not by voice command, but remote control. Catching the kernels required repeated takes for the video.
- Four in the South Bay die due to cold weather 5 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Apple wants Samsung to pay $22M for legal bills
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos