Popinator popcorn machine turns out to be hoax
It turns out the Popinator, an automatic popcorn device that's taken the internet by storm, is a hoax.
"The Popinator is a fully automated voice activated popcorn launching machine that is triggered by the word pop," said an electronic engineer for Thinkmodo.
However that's not really true. It's all just a guerilla marketing campaign for a popcorn company.
The co-founders of Thinkmodo dreamed up the gadget which actually fires popcorn not by voice command, but remote control. Catching the kernels required repeated takes for the video.
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Windy conditions cause damage around Bay Area 51 min ago
- Man with ties to Boston suspect fatally shot by FBI
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
57 min ago