Shark-filled aquarium bursts at mall in China
SHANGHAI, China (KGO) -- Sixteen people were hurt when a shark-filled aquarium burst at a shopping center in China.
A man who was taking pictures of the tank when it broke was swept away by water. Glass and fish went flying into the crowd.
State TV reports that the 33-ton aquarium was home to dozens of sharks, turtles, and fish before it suddenly shattered at a mall in Shanghai.
Officials say cold temperatures and shoddy materials made the acrylic glass brittle.
animal, animals in peril, sharks, china, shopping, watercooler
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 3 min ago
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area 33 min ago
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday