Shark-filled aquarium bursts at mall in China
SHANGHAI, China (KGO) -- Sixteen people were hurt when a shark-filled aquarium burst at a shopping center in China.
A man who was taking pictures of the tank when it broke was swept away by water. Glass and fish went flying into the crowd.
State TV reports that the 33-ton aquarium was home to dozens of sharks, turtles, and fish before it suddenly shattered at a mall in Shanghai.
Officials say cold temperatures and shoddy materials made the acrylic glass brittle.
animal, animals in peril, sharks, china, shopping, watercooler
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 53 min ago
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing elevators 10 min ago
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
53 min ago