Married couple Mars mission planned for 2018
One of the strangest space missions ever proposed involves sending a married couple, alone, on a voyage to Mars.
The privately-funded mission is planned for the year 2018. The couple would blast off in a rocket and make the trip to Mars in a capsule about the size of an RV. The mission would last 16 months. The couple wouldn't land on the planet, but just zip by and return.
The initial money for the trip will come from multimillionaire Dennis Tito, the first space tourist. It's being organized by the non-profit group "Inspiration Mars."
NASA is not involved.
space, travel, watercooler
- Police search for gunman after officer shot in SF 6 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case