Facebook post helps adopted woman find birth family
DAVENPORT, Iowa (KGO) -- Social media is making it easier and easier for people who were adopted to find their birth parents. But a recent reunion in Iowa is a bit unusual.
Paula O'Brien shared an article on Facebook about adoption and a date her family never forgot -- the day her very first niece was born and put up for adoption.
Abbey Donohoe happened to see O'Brien's post and couldn't believe it. She was adopted and that same date, September 19, was her birthday.
She immediately sent Paula a private message. The two had actually known each other for four years but didn't know that Paula was Abbey's aunt.
"I had done theater in the area, she's done theater in the area, so we knew a lot of the same people and we'd met through mutual friends," Paula said. "And in fact, I think it was one of the first times we met we were at a party and people were joking that we looked alike and we just thought it was funny.
Abbey added, "It was like, just a coincidence that we kinda looked like each other."
"We have the same chin," exclaimed Paula.
Paula's brother was Abbey's birth father. She says she's never forgotten the baby given up for adoption three decades ago. They observed her birthday for years.
Paula has told her brother about Abbey and he's excited. Coincidentally, six weeks ago he had just told his three children they had an older half-sister.
Abbey's birth mother lives on the West Coast. She's been informed of the connection, but isn't commenting just yet.
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur 50 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder 15 min ago
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts 49 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon 22 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench 16 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos