Vets save New York City dog who swallowed 111 pennies
NEW YORK (KGO) -- A dog in New York City is recovering after undergoing emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from his stomach.
The 13-year-old Jack Russell terrier named "Jack" became ill after he swallowed 111 pennies last week.
He was rushed to the vet for emergency surgery where the pennies were removed, five at a time, in a two hour operation.
Doctors say the zinc in the pennies can be lethal to a dog.
The dog's owner says his best friend is now back to his normal self.
animal, animals in peril, watercooler
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday