6-year-old given detention for being tardy
A kindergartner in Texas is being punished for the actions of her parents.
Officials at Olympia Elementary School near San Antonio gave 6-year-old Brooke Loeffler detention because she was repeatedly tardy.
For two days, Brooke had to eat lunch alone staring at a wall.
But Brooke's dad is taking the blame, saying they're struggling to adjust with a newborn at home.
"It was my responsibility to get her ready and get her to school," Brad Loeffler said. "I failed in that responsibility a couple of times. I told her we were sorry and it wasn't going to happen again."
The Loeffler's and others don't feel the school should punish children for their parents' mistakes, but school officials disagree. They say since the policy has been put into place, tardies are down are down by 90 percent.
children, parenting, watercooler
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 41 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 57 min ago
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos