Internet-famous dog with arthritis celebrates 20th birthday
A dog and his owner, made famous by a viral photograph, are celebrating a milestone.
John Unger, fearing that his German Shepherd mix was dying from terrible arthritis, cradled his friend in Lake Superior in Wisconsin to soothe the dog's pain.
Unger's friend took a picture of the dog, named Schoep, falling asleep in his owner's arms.
The picture was posted on the internet last year, went viral, and prompted thousands of people to send donations to Unger for Schoep's arthritis treatment. It worked.
Unger posted this picture on Facebook recently of Schoep celebrating his 20th birthday.
He says the treatment dramatically improved the German Shepherd's condition, and there's enough left over to help other dogs with health problems.
social media, facebook, internet, websites, fundraiser, animal, animals in peril, watercooler
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 36 min ago
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting 30 min ago
- Cause of Mountain View house fire investigated
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000
- Person stabbed during fight at SF's Dolores Park
- Woman Canadian goalie debuts in men's league
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos