Alicia Silverstone starts breast milk sharing program
Actress Alicia Silverstone has started an online breast milk sharing program for vegan moms. She's urging moms who eat zero animal products to share their milk with women who can't breastfeed.
Silverstone says she was inspired by a vegan friend who had breast reduction surgery and was having trouble making milk for her newborn son.
However, the Food and Drug Administration warns against sharing milk online because it typically isn't tested for diseases, such as HIV, hepatitis and syphilis.
Experts recommend using a professional breast milk bank instead.
celebrity, children, FDA, watercooler
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos