Photo of wife carrying amputee husband goes viral
At first glance, Jesse and Kelly Cottle look like any happy couple posing for a photo. But a closer look reveals that Jesse Cottle, a 38-year-old Marine and veteran of the war in Afghanistan, is a double amputee.
Jesse lost both his legs after stepping on an IED in 2009.
He met his wife Kelly while recovering at a San Diego hospital.
The couple was recently vacationing in Idaho when they decided to have photos taken. Kelly was carrying Jesse across a creek when the photographer snapped the picture.
"Someone had suggested taking photos in the water," Kelly told ABC News. "I was carrying Jesse back to his legs, and the photographer was like, 'Oh we'll get a couple of shots of you together.' It wasn't planned or anything."
The photographer, Sarah Ledford, posted the picture to her Facebook page, where it immediately started gaining attention, racking up more than 8,000 likes, over 1,000 shares and countless comments.
marines, veterans, afghanistan, watercooler
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 20 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
20 min ago